SAVANNAH, Ga. – The No. 3 Lenoir-Rhyne University Bears defeated the No. 9 University of Tampa Spartans by a final score of 12-9.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 9 Tampa Spartans 9, No. 3 Lenoir-Rhyne Bears 12
Records: Tampa (9-3), Lenoir-Rhyne (11-1)
Location: Savannah, Ga.
All-time Series: The Tampa Spartans lead the all-time series with the Lenoir-Rhyne Bears 3-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans were the first team on the board with a goal from Matt Vetter.
- A little over a minute later, UT netted another goal, this time from Hunter Van Horn.
- With 8:10 left in the first period, Donavon Dempsey scored for the Spartans, giving them the 3-0 lead.
- Andrew Kew then logged his first goal of the day with 3:50 on the clock.
- In the last 30 seconds of play, the Bears earned their first goal to end the period trailing the Spartans 4-1.
- Lenoir-Rhyne ran with the momentum they had gained at the end of the first, scoring a goal in the first 30 seconds of the second period.
- Van Horn then netted his second goal of the game for the Spartans.
- With 4:48 left in the half, Shane Hanlon earned a goal for the Spartans, the assist by Bryan Wright.
- The Bears netted their third goal of the game with 3:25 left in the half. The team still trailed the Spartans 6-3.
- UT then netted another goal, this time from Chris Cox.
- In the last 11 seconds of the first half, Lenoir-Rhyne scored, making the score heading into halftime, Tampa 7, Lenoir-Rhyne 4.
- The Bears scored the next three goals of the contest, tying the match at 7.
- With 11 seconds left in the third, Lenoir-Rhyne took the lead 8-7.
- Once, again LRU was the first team on the board with back-to-back goals. The Spartans now trailed the Bears 10-7.
- Lenoir-Rhyne scored the next two goals of the contest with 5:55 left to play. The No. 3 Bears continued to hold the lead over the No. 9 Spartans 12-7.
- Finally, Matt Vetter scored his second goal of the game off a pass from Wright, ending the Spartans dry spell.
- Andrew Kew then scored Tampa’s final goal of the day, the assist once again from Wright.
- The No. 3 Lenoir-Rhyne University Bears defeated the No. 9 University of Tampa Spartans by a final score of 12-9.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Vetter, Van Horn, and Kew all led the Spartans offensively with two goals each.
- Wright recorded the most assists for Tampa with three.
- Ross Dickerson led the Spartans in ground balls with eight, followed by Luke Posner with four.
- B.J. Borowski recorded nine saves in the cage for the Spartans.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- This marks the first time in program history that the Spartans have lost to the Bears.
The Spartans will host Sunshine State Conference rival, Florida Southern on Wednesday, April 4th. The first face-off is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. Tampa will then host Saint Leo on Saturday the 7th, also at 8:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.